Opening Day for the majority of MLB teams begin this week and the injury bug has already taken many players off the diamond and onto the DL. Here are five key players that are a part of that list:
1. Clayton Kershaw-SP-Dodgers- 15-Day DL- Upper back inflammation. No way will manager Don Matingly rush his ace pitcher back. Described as just ‘muscle tightness, Kershaw shouldn’t remain on the DL too long.
#22-LHP Clayton Kershaw landed on the DL for the first time in his 6-year career. Photo: Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports/Reuters
2. Gordon Beckham-2B-White Sox- 15-Day DL- (Strained left oblique) Look for Marcus Semien to take over at second base until Berckham returns.
3. Michael Bourn- OF-Indians- 15-Day DL- (Strained left hamstring) It is not anticipated that Bourn will miss significant playing time, but the speedy lead-off hitter will need to be at full strength before returning.
4. Marco Scutaro-2B-Giants- 15-Day-DL- (Back injury) Scutaro will have an undetermined amount of time on the DL as he has not played all that much during the exhibition season.
#19 Sure-handed 2B Marco Scutaro will need to get into game shape after missing most of Spring training due to back issues. Photo: AP
5. Carlos Quentin-OF-Padres- 15-Day DL- (Left knee injury) No word on how long the oft-injured power hitter will be out. He already has missed around 80 games in each of the last two seasons.
Questionable to play on Opening Day: Shane Victorino-Red Sox (Hamstring)
I’ve got GOOD news and BAD news…
NYY 22-9 over Oakland
the Good news…The Yanks had an offensive outburst of ‘historic’ proportions when Cano, Martin, and Granderson all hit Grand Slams which accounted for 16 RBIs between them. It’s the first time it’s been done in major league history!
the Bad news…Phil Hughes imploded giving up 6 earned runs on 7 hits in just 2- 2/3 innings. He had three quality starts this month prior to today’s game, but still has an inflated 6.46 ERA.
Detroit 2-0 over T.B.
the Good news…Doug Fister, probably the best 6-13 pitcher in all of baseball, won on a 5 hitter vs. T.B. His K/BB is now an amazing 106/34.
the Bad news…Jeremy Hellickson, in just his 2nd year in the majors, has put together a nice 15-8 record thus far. He struck out 7 in 7 strong innings but took the loss giving up just 2 earned runs.
Baltimore 6-1 over Minn.
the Good news…Mark Reynolds hit his 29th hr which is just around his average over almost 6 yrs. in the major leagues; five with Arizona. Now if he could just get his batting average above his weight- (.220)!!
the Bad news…Francisco Liriano was placed on the 15-day DL with a sprained left shoulder after only 2 innings today. He’ll take his bloated 4.84 era with him…
Atlanta 8-3 over Chicago
the Good news…Michael Bourn went 4-5 and upped his batting average to .304. Brian McCann hit his 21st and 22nd hrs. He now has 4 hrs. since returning from the DL about a month ago.
the Bad news…The ‘Bad News’ Cubbies had four errors in today’s game vs. the Braves. They now have committed 108 errors on the season-the most in the majors!