This week there are some serviceable finds on the waiver wire for 12+ leagues (and deeper) that are very widely available. Every player below is owned in under 30% of leagues; two of them under 20%. This would be a great time to tweak your roster and weed out any dregs from your recent drafts…
1. DeMarre Carroll-SF,PF-Hawks- 10% Owned- This 1st round (27th overall) pick in the 2009 draft, after 4 years in the NBA, is finally getting a chance to start for the Hawks and although two games is a small sample to go on, he already leads the team in steals ( 3 per game) and in FT % (84.6). Getting to the free throw line is one of Carroll’s assets to those in fantasy-he has made 11 of 13 FT attempts. Carroll’s FG% will improve and level off at around 45-46% once the early season rust wears off. He’s someone to consider in 12+ leagues or for those with a shortage at the SF position.
2. Alec Burks-SG-Jazz- 28% Owned- Strictly for those in deeper leagues, Burks is another former 1st rounder (12th pick) of the Utah Jazz in the 2011 draft. His biggest contribution to your roster will come in the way of points where he is already averaging 18 per game, three games into the young season. We like his basketball savvy and his pick and roll defense, however Burks will not fill up your stat sheet as he is not proficient in many other categories except scoring. Watch Burks below in action:
3. Josh McRoberts-PF-Bobcats- 17% Owned- A name you are more familiar with, McRoberts came over from the Magic last season and was given the starting role in Charlotte at Power Forward. In the 23 games he started for the Bobcats, he had 9.3 PPG and 7.2 RPG. Not earth-shattering numbers but in leagues where there are multiple centers and a shortage of centers to go around, McRoberts can be a helpful addition. Don’t let his playing time on Saturday (15 minutes) concern you as he went up against Anthony Davis and scored well but had a problem defending the superstar (as most others have). McRoberts will average closer to 30 minutes a game under normal circumstances.
4. P. J. Tucker-SG,SF-Suns- 21% Owned- Traded from the Raptors two seasons ago, Tucker could finally be getting an opportunity to secure starters minutes as he fights veteran Gerald Green for that role. After finishing the final four games last season with a 15.3 PPG average, all indications are that he should overtake Green and become the Suns starting SF. In the early going, his 15 PPG hasn’t lowered those expectations. Clearly someone to consider in deeper leagues at this stage, it would be wise to take out a flier and watch the former 2nd rounder.
5. Brandon Bass-PF,C-Celtics-26% Owned- Although Jared Sullinger will ultimately garner the starting PF position in Boston this season, Bass put up 17 points in the season opener without Sullinger on the floor and 17 with him on the court. Strictly someone to consider in deeper leagues, Bass’ downside is that he won’t get you a ton of rebounds or blocks, so if you’re okay with something like 9 PPG, 5-6 RPG, and .75 BPG, then Bass could be a decent backup for you at PF/C .