This season will long be remembered for the “year of the back up” especially at the quarterback position. Because of the nature of the physicality at running back, every year is a year for back ups! Here are this week’s Waiver Wire Pickups; none of which are owned in more than 28% of leagues as of Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013. We’re getting close to playoff time in fantasy, so tweak now before the season is over.
1. Rishard Matthews-WR-Dolphins- 5% Owned- Miami faces a Chargers team this week that gives up the 7th most fantasy points to wide receivers. Matthews had 11 receptions last Sunday, good for 120 yards and two touchdowns and has become QB Ryan Tannehill’s favorite receiver.
2. Carson Palmer-QB-Cardinals- 28% Owned- Over the last two weeks, Palmer has thrown for 413 yards, with 4 touchdowns and only two interceptions. His quarterback rating over those games is 104.1. The Cardinals will go up against the lowly Jaguars this week, who have given up the 4th most fantasy points to QBs this season.
3. Brian Leonard-RB-Bucs- 7% Owned- After Mike James went down early in the first quarter on Monday Night, Leonard came in and had 22 touches. His O-line didn’t open up too many holes for the veteran ex-Ram back, but he’ll get the bulk of the carries again this Sunday. Use him as a Flex play and as a RB3 until he shows a jump in his productivity.
4. Ryan Fitzpatrick-QB-Titans- 2% Owned- With Jake Locker (foot) getting injured in last week’s game (and out for the remainder of the season), Fitzpatrick came off the bench and orchestrated two touchdown drives including one rushing touchdown of his own. His problem is, and has always been, turnovers. Use him in two QB leagues or very deep leagues only.
5. Bills-DST- 23% Owned- Very quietly, the Bills have put together some serviceable numbers on defense. They are tied for the most interceptions (13) in the league and have the 2nd most sacks (33) just three behind the first-place K.C. Chiefs. They are home this week against the Jets who have a quarterback (Geno Smith) who has been sacked 30 times this season and has thrown 13 picks (2 against the Bills back on Sept. 22).
6. John Carlson-TE-Vikings- 2% Owned- With the Vikings number one starting TE Kyle Rudolph out for 4-6 weeks, Carlson had a team high seven receptions last week for 98 yards and two touchdowns. We don’t think he will do that every Sunday going forward, but if you are in need of a TE2, we do recommend Carlson.