Opening Day for the majority of MLB teams begin this week and the injury bug has already taken many players off the diamond and onto the DL. Here are five key players that are a part of that list:
1. Clayton Kershaw-SP-Dodgers- 15-Day DL- Upper back inflammation. No way will manager Don Matingly rush his ace pitcher back. Described as just ‘muscle tightness, Kershaw shouldn’t remain on the DL too long.
2. Gordon Beckham-2B-White Sox- 15-Day DL- (Strained left oblique) Look for Marcus Semien to take over at second base until Berckham returns.
3. Michael Bourn- OF-Indians- 15-Day DL- (Strained left hamstring) It is not anticipated that Bourn will miss significant playing time, but the speedy lead-off hitter will need to be at full strength before returning.
4. Marco Scutaro-2B-Giants- 15-Day-DL- (Back injury) Scutaro will have an undetermined amount of time on the DL as he has not played all that much during the exhibition season.
5. Carlos Quentin-OF-Padres- 15-Day DL- (Left knee injury) No word on how long the oft-injured power hitter will be out. He already has missed around 80 games in each of the last two seasons.
Questionable to play on Opening Day: Shane Victorino-Red Sox (Hamstring)