Top prospects have been infiltrating the majors in droves of late and as the more quality players have already been plucked off of the waiver wire, (ones like Yasiel Puig, Zach Wheeler, Wil Myers and the like), here are some options for those looking for specific categories on their roster. With one exception, all of these pickups are available in about 2/3 of all leagues…
1. Corey Kluber-SP-Indians-32% owned- With Kluber, the first thing that comes to mind is his outstanding control as evidenced by his 69K/13BB ratio this season. On a mediocre pitching staff, Kluber has the 2nd lowest ERA in the Indian’s rotation, just behind Justin Masterson. He has given up just 4 earned runs over his last three starts covering 21 2/3 innings. In his last 2 games Kluber has allowed but one walk. He’ll make a formidable addition to rosters in A.L. only and all deeper formats.
2. Brandon Moss-1B,OF-Athletics-34% owned- Right off the bat, if you pardon the pun, one can understand if owners are reluctant to roster Moss due to his .237 batting average. But if you search deeper you can find reasons for him to be quite serviceable nonetheless. For starters he’s on pace to hit around 30 home runs. (Moss had 21 last year). We also like that he ended the season with a .954 OPS and a .291 batting average. Those numbers might seem a bit ambitious for him to repeat, but anything even close to them makes him worthy of being rostered.
3. Ben Revere-OF-Phillies- 45% owned- We isted this speedster because we’re surprised he isn’t owned in more leagues. Revere swiped 40 bases last year playing in only 124 games and he scored 70 runs while batting .294. On pace to end the year with another 40 SBs, Revere has 6 steals over the past 10 games including 3 in Saturday’s contest vs the Mets. At this stage of the season Revere should not be languishing on anyone’s waiver wire.
4. Eric Stults-SP-Padres-36% owned- Very quietly, Stults has emerged into a consistent starting pitcher and should be owned in all mixed leagues. A Must Add, in his last 29 starts, all with the Padres, Stults boasts a 14-8 record to go along with a respectable 3.108 ERA and 1.13 WHIP. Included with his 25K/3BB ratio over his last five games, the southpaw has also added a complete game shutout vs the Diamondbacks on 6/14 to his already glowing resume. With starts against the Phillies and Marlins on his slate, Stults is someone to grab now if he is still available.
5. Gregor Blanco-OF-Giants-6% owned- For those of you in deeper and N.L. only leagues, Blanco is someone that can you should ride while he’s hot. How hot has he been? Well, he has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games; six of which were of the multi-hit variety. Speed, his biggest asset, has him on pace for 20 thefts this season. Blanco had 26 SB last year in under 400 at bats.