Here are 10 interesting and fun facts & stats from MLB’s Opening Day 2013, in no particular order. It was a day that saw record crowds welcome back the national pastime…
1. Colin Cowgill joins Todd Hundley as the only other Mets player to hit a grand slam on Opening Day.
2. Clayton Kershaw became the first pitcher to throw a shutout and hit a home run in a season opener since Bob Lemon did it with Cleveland in 1953.
3. Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander won for the first time in six Opening Day starts.
4. In three Opening Day appearances, Mets Ike Davis is now 0-12 with seven strikeouts.
5. The Angels beat the Reds 3-1 in 13 innings in the major’s first interleague season opener.
6. Nationals former #1 overall draft pick, Stephen Strasburg recorded 19 consecutive outs at one point in the team’s 2-0 win over the Marlins.
7. CC Sabathia has started five Yankees season openers, has a 7.42 ERA, and has never won.
8. The Mets now have 20 victories in their last 22 season openers at home including a 3-0 record at Citi Field.
9. The Cubs beat the Pirates 3-1 for their first opening season victory since 2009.
10. David Wright stole 2nd base twice on Opening Day. When asked if he plans on becoming a stolen-base threat this season, the Mets fourth Captain said, “I’m on pace for 400, so that’s my goal this year.”
Sabathia will pose a request with the MLB hierarchy for a do-over . 8-2 , the Yankees were extremely lucky , that the Red Sox hadn’t come close to finding a real rhythm when it came to their hitting during the game .
The Yanks will be another offensifely challenged team this season. Almost sacreligious to say that but they will need to play small ball and have a good defense. Almost 50 errors in Spring Training doesn’t bode well for them.
It’s never sacrilegious when it’s the truth , and now they’ll be sinking $ 14 million into the $42 million ….. owed to that malcontent Vernon Wells for the remaining three seasons remaining on his exorbitant seven-year $126 million deal . How crazy is that for an under-performing twat !
The $14 million they’re coughing up is about $13 million too much!
I guess that Arte Moreno and GM Jerry Dipoto were simply glad to dump Wells albeit , that the franchise will assist by honoring the $28 million of the $42 million owed to the player .
The Mets are the Murderers Row of Opening Day games. Too bad they’re just plain murder the rest of the year….
Well put Cayman!!
Eh, what do I know. I’m just a bitter Yankees fan.
Well then this year should be your all-time favorite as the Bronx baby boomers have the majority of their first tier players in a *M*A*S*H unit somewhere. This has prompted the club to go out and pick up every available re-tread to come out of moth balls and join the most expensive Triple-A team in the league… Enjoy Cayman!