Fantasy basketball team managers are gearing up for the start of the playoffs next week and as such should be looking into picking up some last minute steals while jockeying for position in their leagues. Although most will be ‘streaming’ during the playoffs, the smarter ones should be preparing now while there are still some bargains to be had.
1. Spencer Hawes-C-76ers-Injury plaqued and thus a major disappointment most of the season, Hawes played in his third game back since Feb. 6th vs the lowly Bobcats and scored 13 points with 11 boards and 3 blocked shots in almost 24 minutes. If he continues to get minutes and stays injury free, Hawes can help fill up a stat sheet like just a few big men can. Hawes is a low risk, high reward pickup who is abvailable in over 60% of most leagues.
2. Tristan Thompson-PF-Cavs- Thompson went off on Monday night against the Nets and turned in career numbers in points 27 and rebounds 12 in 37:29 minutes. He has been a little inconsistent but worth a flier in deeper leagues as long as you stay mindful that once Anderson Varejao returns, Thompson’s numbers will drop. You should plan on using him this week if you need some help at PF but understand that he’ll just be a loner until next week, unless Varejao suffers a setback. Thompson is only owned in 10-15% of most leagues.
3. Jason Thompson-PF/C-Kings- Staying with the same last name, we’re going to consider this Thompson a ‘Must Add’. If you need a big guy who can score, play some minutes, and rebound a ton, then you shouldn’t wait on picking him up. In his last four games, Thompson has averaged 14.3 points and 12.3 boards in 29 MPG. He’ll also get you an occasional block and steal along the way as well. (Think Zaza Pachulia). Like we always say, even players on bad teams will still help to garner some nice fantasy points, so don’t let the fact that he’s on the Kings dissuade you. Hard to believe but Thompson is available in almost 75% of most leagues.
4. Klay Thompson-SG/SF-Warriors- For our final pickup, with the last name of Thompson, we have yet another ‘Must Add’ to offer you. The rookie has been on fire since given the start after the Monta Ellis trade. His main asset for team managers is his scoring. Thompson has scored in double digits in his last eight games. In his last four games, his first starts of the season, he has averaged 19.0 points a game! Some of you must be looking for a scorer going into the playoffs. Thompson will also pad some other stats for you as he has averaged 2.0 threes, 3.7 assists, 2.5 rebounds and 1 steal over those four games. His shooting percentage is his only drawback so keep that in mind, however his numbers and his dual position availability should be drawing you to him. Hurry up and grab him while he’s still available in 60% of leagues.
5. Steve Novak-SF/PF-Knicks- Our feature in our Photo Of The Week last week, Novak is a 3-point specialist that is widely available and will help tremendously in your 3-point category. He’s only a bench player averaging around 17-19 minutes a game but that’s all it takes for him to give you the threes you’ll need. Over his last four games, Novak-aine is averaging 3.2 threes a game while scoring just under 11 points and 2.5 rebounds. More than serviceable and someone to pick up if you’re lacking in threes, the Knick forward is only owned in 25% of most leagues.