*Home team in CAPS
1. Titans over TEXANS- If we were in week 6 for example, we would be touting the Texans, but this week’s game means absolutely nothing to Houston as they have clinched the South and the #3 seed in the playoffs. Therefore they will be resting most of the starters in this game. The Titans at 8-7 need the win and therefore have something to play for. Question is which Titan team will show up? The one that beat the Ravens 26-13 or the one that lost to the Colts 27-13. Time is running out for the Titans…
2. DOLPHINS over Jets- Not sure what’s happened to the (8-7) Jets but they’re 3-4 in their last seven games and they have given up 73 points in their last two. There will be a lot of score board watching during this one as the (8-7) Titans will start their game at one o’clock just like the Jets. A Tennessee win knocks out N.Y. from the post season. The Dolphins, you’ll remember, lost their first seven games and had gone 5-2 in their next seven before last week’s loss to the Patriots. The Jets have won just 2 road games all season and are coming off of a tough loss to their crosstown rival Giants. Not sure they have enough left to put away the Fins.
3. EAGLES over Redskins- Winners of their last three in a row, the former ‘dream team’ Eagles will not be going to the playoffs even with a win this week. They will however, be playing to help increase coach Andy Reid’s stability in Philadelphia for another season. Players like to play for him and winning their fourth in a row will give the team & head coach an emotional lift going into next season. The 5-10 Redskins are just playing out the schedule at this point.
4. RAIDERS over Chargers- The Raiders seem to have the Chargers number as they beat them in the two games they played last year and again in week 9 this season. The playoff picture for the Raiders goes like this: they would clinch the West and No. 4 seed with a win and a Broncos loss. Would clinch the No. 6 seed with a win and a Bengals loss and either/both a Titans loss and/or Jets win. The Chargers are out of any post season play so we’re picking the Raiders in a must win game.
5. 49ers over RAMS- Had to pick this game as one of our Best Bets because that’s what it is- a Best Bet! Not sure the Rams 3-12 will score more than 10 points even though once the game is in hand the Niners will rest many of their players on defense. The playoff scenario for S.F. goes like this; they have clinched the West and would clinch the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye with a win or Saints loss due to their conference record. So with something still left to play for, it should be ‘business as usual’ for the 49ers.
* Last week 3-2
** Season 48-27