FIVE PICKUPS-WEEK #14
1. MARION BARBER-RB-BEARS- Matt Forte’s sprained MCL which should keep him out of action for 2-4 weeks make Barber a decent pickup especially if you were one of the unfortunate ones to have lost Forte. The Bears are playing with a handicap however; Coach Lovie Smith has confirmed that Caleb Hanie will again get the nod this week and since his passing abilities are questionable, at best, he will need to rely on keeping the ball on the ground vs the Broncos- when he’s not throwing pics anyway, (he has six in the last two weeks). If Von Miller, Denver’s best run defender is out again, that will make things even easier for Barber.
2. BRANDON SAINE-PACKERS- This is the perfect spot for Saine as RB Jamie Starks is questionable and probably will not play this week vs Oakland. He re-injured the same ankle that he hurt back in week 11 and has only carried the ball 7 times in the last two weeks. Ryan Grant has been ineffectice most of the season (last week 13 carries for 29 yards), so we think Saine gets the bulk of the load and will be going up against a Raider team that has allowed the fourth most fantasy points to RB’s this year. He could be a sneaky sleeper pickup during the upcoming fantasy playoffs.
3. GOLDEN TATE-WR-SEAHAWKS- With WR Doug Baldwin only grabbing one reception last week, we think Tate will build upon his four catches he had against the Eagles. He totaled 47 yards and a touchdown and now will go up against an injury ridden Rams secondary on, of all things, Monday Night Football…yawn. With WR Sidney Rice out, Tate should make a good WR3 or flex play this week. He’s virtually available( 98%) in most every league.
4. DEXTER McCLUSTER-WR/RB-CHIEFS- If your in a PPR league, McCluster makes for a must add over the next several weeks. He’ll face the Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders in two of the remaining four weeks. In the last four weeks McCluster has rushed for 179 yards and had 13 receptions and a touchdown. In Yahoo! leagues he adds a special bonus as he has two position eligibility. Not so sure he’ll explode this week vs the Jets but would recommend a grab & stash for the playoffs in your league. He’s available in 64% of Yahoo! leagues.
5. DENVER BRONCOS-DEFENSE- Against the K.C. Chiefs last week, the Bears were able able to muster just 181 yards of total offense and only 3 points. They also turned the ball over three times and QB Caleb Hanie was sacked seven times. The Broncos, before last week’s game, had only given up 36 points in the three games prior. The team of Von Miller and Elvis Dumeril have combined for 11 sacks over the last five weeks, which makes the Broncos defense a must add. They are available in 60% of Yahoo! leagues.