FIVE PICKUPS-WEEK #9
Two of our week #8 pickups excelled last week: Antonio Brown, WR Pittsburgh Steelers had a line of 9-67-1 and in the last two weeks 16-169-1 and made a formidable pickup last week. The other pick was the 49ers defense which only gave up 10 points. They had 4 sacks, 1 INT, 1 fumble recovery, and ended up bringing team owners 12 fantasy points. Now on to this week’s pickups…good luck!
1) CHRIS OGBONNAYA-RB-Browns- Personally, we think that if you can just pronounce his name you should get at least 5 fantasy points! A former 7th round pick of the Rams, Ogbonnaya will serve as a nice pickup this week as Montario Hardesty will be out indefinitely (calf tear) and Peyton Hillis is still day-to day (hamstring). He had 11 rushes and 5 receptions vs a tough 49er defense for 61 yards and should be used more this week vs the Texans who are giving up 4.5 yards per carry. He’ll make a serviceable RB2.
2) SCOTT CHANDLER-TE-Bills- This could very well be the quietest fantasy secret at TE. He leads the NFL in touchdowns with 6 and has the 10th most fantasy points among all tight ends. He scored 2 touchdowns last week vs the Redskins and squares up at home against the Jets this weekend. If your tight end is on a bye, Chandler, a 4th round pick of the Chargers could help but temper expectations as he doesn’t get targeted all that much. He’s a high risk-high reward pickup available in 73% of Yahoo! leagues.
3) MICHAEL CRABTREE-WR-49ers- Targeted a team high nine times last week vs the Browns, Crabtree had 5 receptions for 54 yards and a touchdown. A 1st round pick of the 49ers in 2009, he has been targeted a team high 24 times over the past 2 games and has 14 receptions. The third year wideout has become Alex Smith’s favorite receiver of late and for those of you having to do without Calvin Johnson, for example, grab Crabtree as a WR2 or flex as he is widely available in 60% of Yahoo! leagues.
4) JONATHAN BALDWIN-WR-Chiefs- This 1st round pick of the Chiefs in this year’s draft, had a team high 5 receptions good for 82 yards and a touchdown vs the Chargers on MNF. In just his second game since coming into the league, he showed why the Chiefs picked him up in the 1st round. He’ll go up against the woeful Miami Dolphins at home this Sunday so his numbers should be solid once again. He has great speed and good hands and already has the confidence of Matt Cassell. A steal of a pickup, he should be a must add if you need a WR2/Flex. Available in 92% of Yahoo! leagues. (He won’t be before this seasons over…)
5) KANSAS CITY CHIEFS-DEFENSE- Going for their 5th win in a row, the Chiefs, who started off giving up a ton of points in their first two games, have since shored up their ‘D’. In the last four weeks they have given up an average of just 15 points a game. They face the leading ‘suck for luck’ candidates Miami Dolpins at home this week. The Fish only average 15 points a game this season so this makes picking them up a no-brainer. Available in 76% of Yahoo! leagues.
Should the Chiefs be gone, we recommend the Oakland Raiders as a second option. With a front line drooling over the prospects of facing Tim Tebow who’s been sacked a heathy 13 times in 2 1/2 games, 4-6 sacks and 1-2 picks are a distinct possibility for the silver & black this week.