There are some intriguing match ups this week (three of which include our picks) and although we’re still slightly above .500 on the season (8-7), confidence reigns supreme here at the Furnace this week. Here are our five Best Bests for Week #4:
Home team in CAPS
1. CHIEFS over the Giants- After two consecutive weeks of touting the G-Men, this week’s contest, which takes place at a very noisy and disruptive Arrowhead Stadium against the upstart 3-0 Chiefs, is just too lopsided a potential affair for us to continue our unbridled Giant loyalty. The Chiefs front seven, their cerebral quarterback, (who has yet to throw one interception this season), and a head coach in 14 year veteran Andy Reid who knows the Giants all too well, will be more than enough for N.Y. to handle. The Giants may not have a game as one sided as the debacle in Charlotte last Sunday, but we can’t see this team who is inept on offense and well as defense do a 180 vs this ‘red hot’ team.
2. Jets over the TITANS- Staying in the Big Apple, we’re picking the Jets who are beginning to show signs of mimicking the 2009 team that went to the playoffs in Rex Ryan’s first year as head coach. A team who ran the ball effectively and had a hard core defense that was one of the best in the league that year. They’re rushing the passer, RB Bilal Powell is running effectively with the rock, and Geno Smith is coming along about as quickly as a rookie can tying Aaron Rodgers with 9 completions of 20 or more yards this season. We don’t see this as a game of QBs but rather as an ugly, grind it out, running back lead, 3 point battle that’ll go down to the wire-with the Jets on top at the end.
3. BRONCOS over the Eagles- Even with the short week, (Denver played on Monday night), the Broncos might not have to put it in second gear to overcome the fairly defenseless Eagles. In what should shape up as a high scoring affair, we can’t see anything less than a double-digit victory for Peyton and his many offensive threats. Chalk up the trip to Sports Authority Field at Mile High, a Broncos offensive group that is second to none in the league, and Peyton Manning who should remain upright, all night, as well as on target vs a porous Eagles secondary to result in Denver’s 4th win in as many games, which will keep them tied with the division rival 3-0 Chiefs.
4. FALCONS over the Patriots- This was the hardest choice we had to make this week as it usually isn’t a safe bet to go against the mighty Patriots, but this season the Pats just don’t seem as potent on offense and they could very easily have been 1-2 at this time after almost losing to the Bills in week 1 and then playing a clunker against the Jets, who should have won week 2′s contest. Atlanta is staring at the division rival New Orlean Saints sitting at 3-0 and will need this victory on Sunday night’s nationally televised game to stay close. Let’s see what the Falcons can do in their first must win game of the season.
5. SAINTS over the Dolphins- The aforementioned Saints will be doing battle against a feisty Miami squad that is undefeated this season and looking better and better each week. So why are we going with New Orleans you might ask? Surprisingly, it’s their defense that has some in the league very surprised. Yes, you read that right! Rob Ryan has the Saints D allowing just 295 yards of total offense per game through the first three games and that’s as many yards as Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers can throw in a game! The Saints, playing in their 3rd home game, have the Superdome as their 12th man on the field and we could see the Dolphins have a case of turnover-itis on Monday Night.